Having an issue with your story? No problem. Interactive storytelling is difficult! Below is a list of Common Problems, and if you're still stuck, see our Get Help section.
My story is stuck and will not move on?
There are a few reasons why a story might get stuck. Listed below are some of the most common reasons:
- No wildcard. If there is no wildcard at an interaction point and the player keeps responding with something that is not matched to a player node, they will get stuck in a training chat loop. Solution: Add a wildcard and tick
override subplotsto the interaction point. Also consider adding more player nodes to cover more response options.
- The following node uses a memory that is not saved. If all the nodes following the story stop are referencing a memory or category that has not been saved, Charisma will have nowhere to go. Solution: Check that there are no typos in the tag, that the memory has been correctly saved, and add a non-memory reliant route.
- The following node is gated and the conditions are not met. If the route is blocked off by a gate and the conditions have not been met, Charisma will have nowhere to send the player. Solution: Check that the conditions are able to be met, and add a non-gated route.
- Tap to continue is enabled at an interaction point. When Tap to continue is enabled, there is no text box for the player to respond, so if there are player nodes following a Tap to continue node, the story will stop. Solution: Remove Tap to continue from the node, or remove the player nodes and the interaction point.
I can't log in to Charisma
Make sure you are using the right login method (email, Facebook or Apple) or create a new account if you are yet to do so. If you're still having trouble, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
My impact isn't showing in preview in app
If an impact is not appearing as you would expect, there are a few things you should check:
- Are you in a subplot? An impact needs to know which episode it’s in, and as subplots can be entered from many scenes, you'll need to play from a main scene of a story in order for the impact to show.
- Are the previous 3 lines in the format of Character Node - Player Node - Character Node? If it's a shareable impact that is missing, you will need to follow this format for Charisma to initiate a shareable pop-up.
- Have you added an image to your shareable impact? You will need to add an image and save it for the impact to show.
- Have you added a text description for your impact? You will need to write and save text in order for the impact to show.
I can't delete nodes/connectors by pressing backspace
If you are using Firefox, you may experience an issue where pressing backspace instead goes back to the previous page. A current workaround is to press
Shift + Backspace instead.
If you're in need of help with your story, you're in the right place!
Get further help and connect with other Charisma writers through our Discord server. Whether you need help with the tools, or just want to discuss your stories and ask for feedback, the Charisma Discord server is the place to go.
Get in touch
If you need specific support with your story, or have found a bug or issue with Charisma, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.