Writing within Charisma is designed to be quick and simple. There's no special syntax or code to learn, and you can create stories, episodes, scenes and characters in minutes.
To create a story in Charisma, you will need to first sign up for a Charisma account. Once you're all set up, head to your Stories page and click the Create App Story panel.
- Give your story a title. This will be what your story is named when it is published in the app. We recommend keeping it short and sweet, and titles up to 35 characters will be optimum when viewed in the app.
- Give your story a description. Add a description for your story so people know what to expect. Think of this as a blurb, it will be visible on the app under your title. Descriptions between 10 - 40 words work best with the space allocated on the app.
- Choose genres. Choose from the dropdown list of Genres that best describe your story. You can choose more than one genre. These are how your story will be categorised in the app.
- Choose template. Choose if you want to start from a basic template or a completely blank canvas.
- Click Create Story. Don't stress. You can change any of these details later.
You'll then be taken to the Story Overview page, which you can return to at any time by clicking Story Overview in the left-hand menu. Here you can edit title, edit description, edit genres, add credits, add Promo Panels and add collaborators to your story.
- Add a cover image for your story. We recommend dimensions of around 1920px x 1080px for your images size to be displayed consistently across the app. We advise not including typography to the image, as the title will be added as an overlay in-app.
You can use Episodes to split your story into chunks, which will be listed separately once in the app. You must have at least 1 Episode per story.
- Add an Episode by clicking the
+icon next to Story .
- Name your Episode by clicking the
…icon next to it and select Rename.
- Position your Episode by drag and dropping it to the desired position between scenes.
Scenes are used to break your story up into manageable chunks. Each scene has its own Story Graph. Although these graphs are infinite, we recommend keeping your scenes short to make editing simpler.
- Create a scene by clicking Add new scene under Story on the left-hand menu and writing a scene name.
- Edit your scene name by clicking the
…icon and clicking Rename.
In Charisma, Characters are the life-blood of your stories. You can have as many as you like throughout your story. Don’t hold back!
- Create a character by clicking Add new character under Characters on the left-hand menu.
- Name your character. This will be displayed in-app on every character bubble, so keep it short.
- Add Character Image. Add an image for your Character. This currently isn't displayed in the app but may be used in future updates.
- Biography. You can give your character a short description. These descriptions are never publicly seen once your story is published, so use them to define your character and to start shaping their personality.
- Choose a voice. Select from the dropdown list of existing voices for your character. You can preview the voice and adjust the pitch, rate and volume.
- Choose your baseline mood. Flip the card over to choose your character's baseline mood. Your character's mood will start off neutral by default. You can change this by adjusting these sliders.
- Train your character. Answer a series of questions as your character. These will be used as your character responses if that specific question is ever asked by a player and there is not a matching player node at that point. This is a great way to get a feel for how your characters will talk and converse.
You're ready to start your story. Happy Writing!